Facebook: Yes (Earl Goodson)
Vimutti Buddhist Monastery
PO Box 7
Phone Number: Will prob. change. Will update that to those who have it.
And while I’ve got your attention…Here’s a list known as the Eight Precepts; things I’m supposed to do while I’m here. Some of them are pretty standard but some of the others raise interesting questions. For instance, if I can’t intentionally harm any living being, am I to then leave a wasp nest in a location where ppl can get stung? As a caretaker that would seem counter-intuitive…What if an ant hill is at the base of a weed? I might not kill the ants outright by plucking that weed, but they will almost certainly die as their colony disperses and predators pick off their larvae. At any rate…
- To refrain from intentionally harming any living being, including insects.
- To refrain from stealing and taking anything that is not given to you. This includes making use of supplies in the monastery unless they have been specified for your use, for example, taking food from the kitchen outside the mealtime.
- To refrain from all romantic and sexual behavior.
- To refrain from lying. It is encouraged to speak sparingly and mindfully, saying that which is true, beneficial, kind, meaningful and harmonious.
- To refrain from alcohol, recreational drugs and other intoxicants that cloud clarity.
- To refrain from eating after midday . The monastery’s practice is to eat one meal a day in one bowl at one sitting. At other times there are certain drinks and tonics that may be consumed. This practice frees time for meditation and enhances simplicity of life.
- To refrain from entertainment such as music, dancing, playing games and adorning the body with jewellery, make up or perfume. This assists in focusing the mind’s attention inwards towards the Dhamma.
- To refrain from using luxurious beds, in order to encourage wakefulness, austerity and contentment with simplicity.
In completely unrelated news I have a full month of food stamps and I’m only going to be in town for a week more. You know what that means…
……. Whole Foods, baby! Seafood section! Monstera by the bushel! Cheese shop, fuck yea! No seriously…This is something only known by a few of my closest friends. I love. LOVE . Good cheese. Which is funny from me b/c I’m hardly the wine-swishing peppercorn-quail type but there’s something about cheese…My favorite is Abbaye de Belloc; a french sheep’s milk cheese I get from Whole Foods. It’s a semisoft, mild sweet cheese that goes great with anything. A steal at 13 bucks a pound too! There’s a goat cheese blend and a brie I discovered at a cheese fair a few weeks back at Central markets that were astoundingly delicious but I didn’t save the labels and I cried thereafter. The goat cheese was a hard, sweet, earthy cheese and the brie started sweet then moved to this earthy-mushroom tone that was kinda wierd but really good in small doses. More cheese please!